Waltonwood Senior Living Helps Senior Ladies Embrace Age with Grace
WEST BLOOMFIELD, MI—Earlier this month, Waltonwood Senior Living communities celebrated National Gorgeous Grandma Day, which is an annual observance held on July 23rd that is dedicated to acknowledging the love and care that grandmothers give to their families, and celebrating the spirit and life that senior women maintain after the age of 50.
Beginning the week of July 18th, Waltonwood communities across Michigan, North Carolina and Virginia hosted their own inspired events to celebrate the ‘gorgeous grandma’ residents of their communities. These residents were wined, dined and pampered through a variety of activities such as spa days, fashion shows and beauty bars. Additionally, families of the ‘gorgeous grandmas’ nominated their loved ones as the best and most-gorgeous grandma through written submissions to the communities.
“We are grateful that so many of our communities are participating in celebrating the women of Waltonwood,” said Sara Bailey (before the celebrations). “We are looking forward to honoring and pampering our residents and bringing in many of their families to make them feel extra special.”
Waltonwood communities hosted the following events throughout the week of the official July 23rd observance:
- Waltonwood Cary Parkway (Cary, NC): A week of pampering, polishing and primping including hair, makeup, a fashion show and an honorary slideshow with photos and sentiments from family and loved ones.
- Waltonwood Lake Boone (Raleigh, NC): A grand ‘gorgeous grandma’ weeklong celebration, including different activities each day such as a pampering day, girls’ movie night, pink flamingo pool party and pink bunko games.
- Waltonwood Main (Rochester Hills, MI): Residents enjoyed a DIY beauty bar, and their families participated in an essay contest to win a full spa day for their gorgeous grandma.
- Waltonwood Royal Oak (Royal Oak, MI): The ladies participated in a fashion show—in partnership with David’s Bridal—and were honored by their families with pictures, poems and words of gratitude.
- Waltonwood Twelve Oaks (Novi, MI): Residents were given morning makeovers including hair, makeup and nails, coupled with mimosas, lunch and an afternoon ‘red carpet’ fashion show.
- Waltonwood University (Rochester Hills, MI): A ‘gorgeous grandma’ prom party, where the ladies were treated to a spa day, got dressed up and were gifted with wrist corsages, and then they enjoyed a special dinner service with cocktail hour and musical entertainment.
- Waltonwood Carriage Park (Canton, MI): Residents were pampered in the community’s salon with manicures, facials and refreshments.
“We love taking any chance to empower and uplift our residents,” said Lindsay Charlefour, director of life enrichment for Waltonwood communities. “Our communities have come together to host a variety of fun activities for all the women that will give them an opportunity have fun, relax and feel even more gorgeous than they already are!”
Started in 1984, National Gorgeous Grandma Day was created by Alice Solomon, a radio host and author, to honor all older women/women over 50. She devoted the holiday as a day to celebrate women and their accomplishments, and to encourage older women to be their gorgeous selves and continue pursuing and living a fulfilling life throughout all stages of it.